Between family, work, and other obligations it is hard not to get overwhelmed every now and then. It is important to take time for yourself to relax or your physical and mental health can suffer.
Learning how to manage stress takes time, but practice makes perfect and over time you get the hang out it. Here are 7 simple tips to manage stress and lead a healthier life.
- Meditation: 20 minutes a day can help reduce stress, boost concentration, increases happiness, and several other benefits that impact your mind, body, and spirit.
- Exercise: There are many types of physical activity, including running, swimming, walking, skiing, and more. When you engage in exercise your body produces endorphins, which acts as a natural painkiller and alleviates pain and stress.
- Time in Nature: Studies show being in nature releases pleasant feelings, which reduce stress, fear, and anger. Nature also helps to reduce blood pressure, production of stress hormones, and improves your overall wellbeing.
- Sleep Well: Sleeping 7-9 hours a night allows our brains and bodies to recharge, rest, and cope with the pressures of life. If you fail to sleep the recommended amount of sleep per night your more likely to experience symptoms of stress.
- Connect Socially: Enjoying the company of friends and family decreases feelings of loneliness and promotes a sense of belonging. In addition, socializing decreases anxiety and stress. So get out there and spend time with your loved ones and best buds.
- Eat Well: Believe it or not your eating habits can significantly impact your stress levels. Healthy foods (fruits, vegetables, and non processed foods) reduce stress by lowering hormones that trigger it. On the other hand, junks foods can increase hormones that fight stress.
- Make Lists: It is said that stress occurs from being unable to successfully manage tasks. So take a break, grab your favorite writing tool, and jot down your to-dos. This simple task can lead to immediate relief even if the tasks you jotted down are unfinished.